Sister Sarah Oliphant serving in the Nicaragua Managua North mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from May 2015 through November 2016

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Hello again!

Hello, everybody! Week 2 has gone so slowly and so quickly at the same time. I almost feel like I've plateaued in my learning Spanish. But it's definitely still coming. I said a prayer entirely in English last night, and the words "Dear Heavenly Father" literally felt wrong in my mouth. Now I feel like the only possible way to begin prayers is "Querido Padre Celestial" and I don't even know when that happened.

I understand it so well now, which is fantastic. I can understand almost everything someone says to me, but if I'm in a lesson I freeze up a little and have no idea how to phrase anything. I'm so glad that the Spirit is the main teacher and that as long as I keep bearing my testimony in Spanish, it'll all work out. I'd be struggling if I had to rely only on myself to teach these awesome people. My companion and I committed someone to baptism this week! I mean, he wasn't a real investigator. He was actually our teacher. But he was our first real investigator and looking back we did kind of horribly but we brought the Spirit and he said he'd be baptized :) It was definitely the best experience so far on my mission. It wasn't entirely real, but our teacher was pretending to be a real person from when he went on his mission. It was awesome, and it gave me so much love and motivation. I can't wait to help someone who is actually searching for the gospel the opportunity to see the beauty in the atonement and the plan of salvation. It just gives me so much peace to know that I will be that person for someone. I'm so excited :) 
But I'm definitely going to treasure every moment here in the MTC, because it's honestly been one of the best experiences of my entire life. It took me a while, but I'm now so close with my district, and we got a new district in our zone just before the old district left. I miss everyone in the old district, because they were amazing, but I know they'll all be amazing out in the field :) Our new district has two new sisters and six new elders. So now there's eight of both ;) We're actually getting another district this week, with six elders. I'm excited to meet them and wow them with my two weeks of knowledge of el CCM. I'm practically an expert. Just kidding. But my district is the oldest district in our zone now. Pretty crazy. And my companion is Sister Training Leader, which has honestly been the best blessing. Just her. She's been the best blessing in my life since being here. We had companionship inventory last night, and literally it was just us gushing about all the things we love about each other. Neither of us actually had any problems with each other, and we just had the Spirit with us the whole time and it was amazing. Yesterday was really hard for a lot of people. A couple people in our zone are struggling hardcore, and Hna Walborn really had a hard day yesterday. But everything just ended up working so well, and our companionship inventory was the icing on the cake. She was the perfect companion for me to have as I got used to being here. But both of us just get along so well, and I literally cannot even get over how perfect she is. She brings the spirit to our lessons, and she's so caring and loving and a perfect sister training leader. I could honestly talk about her all day. I'll probably have more to say next week, but I'll stop now ;) 
This week was definitely very spiritual. Sunday devotional was incredible. Absolutely incredible. It was President and Sister Tanner this week. President Tanner is about to be the new President of BYU-H, and Sister Tanner is the one who wrote Daughters in His Kingdom. The talks were incredible, and I'm so glad I was there. And on Tuesday we had Elder Christofferson come and speak, and he talked about questions missionaries had, such as their worries and their struggles and things. I really needed to hear it. And on Friday, we had the incredible experience of viewing Elder L. Tom Perry's funeral, which no one thought we'd be able to do. But it was incredible and I'm so glad I was able to view it. I have such a testimony of the plan of salvation, and something that Elder Hendrix said after the funeral last week really stuck with me. "I hate goodbyes, but it never really is goodbye. No matter what. It's always just 'See you later.'" I'm so grateful that I know it's true. I can't handle goodbyes either. But I'm definitely okay with see you later.
So yeah. This week was a success. My foot's healing, and everything is fun and awesome. I have had hard days and days where I feel discouraged and unmotivated. But the good days far outweigh the struggles. Our Sunday theme this week was about enduring to the end, and I wrote a talk on it in Spanish, and it definitely helped me out a lot. My favorite scripture this week regarding that is 2 Nephi 31: 13, 19-20. But I mean, just read all of 2 Nephi 31-32. Please. It's my favorite chapter and so incredible. 
I love you guys so much. Thank you for all the emails this week. I know I'm supposed to be here and I love every second. Yo sé que la iglesia de Jesucristo es verdadera. Yo sé que el Evangelio y la Expiación del Salvador es para nosotros, y yo sé que Dios es nuestro amoroso Padre Celestial. Si nosotros perseveramos hasta el fin, tendremos la vida eterna. Él ha me dio muchas bendiciones, y soy muy agradecido. Soy muy animada de cuando iré al campo de misión. Hay muchas personas que les ya encanto :) ¡Gracias por todas! En el nombre de Jesucristo, amén :)
I apologize for my poor Spanish. I didn't use google translate for this ;) I hope you all have an awesome week! ¡Les hablé luego!
(Note from Mom-- I put her testimony into Google Translate and this is what it said:
"I know that the Church of Jesus Christ is true. I know that the Gospel and the Atonement of the Savior is for us,and I know that God is our loving Heavenly Father. I know if we persevere to the end, we will gain eternal life. He has given me many blessings, and I am so grateful. I am so excited to go to the mission field. There are many people that already charm. [She may have meant many people to encounter or meet.] Thank you for everything. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.")  

No comments:

Post a Comment