Sister Sarah Oliphant serving in the Nicaragua Managua North mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from May 2015 through November 2016

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Week...4?

Hola todos! My goodness this week has been ca-razy. But, I won´t focus on that now x3 This week was definitely hard, to the point of tears a few times. But I have an awesome companion, and awesome zone leaders. AWESOME zone leaders. It´s so great to have someone there who can be like, "I went through this too. I know it´s hard, but keep going, keep working, and it will come." exactly when I need them. My main issue right now I suppose is the Spanish. One of the worst feelings is not being able to have conversations with people because you have no clue what they´re saying. And I´ve been struggling hardcore with that. But, honestly, after Tuesday, it´s all been uphill. I suddenly understand a little more, and I feel like I´m actually contributing as a missionary and not throwing out my jumbled mess of a whatever testimony randomly. This week has been such a growing and learning curve for me. And it passed by so fast :)

I had divisiones (exchanges) twice this week, once with the APs and another time just with some sisters in our zone. I´ve had to do them ALL THE TIME because my companion is Sister Training Leader...so you know. It happens. But it´s actually kind of fun. I always seemed to be with Latinas that didn´t know ANY English...that was fun. It always makes me more grateful that Hna Miza knows English enough that she understands me when I need to say something in English.

But when we went on divisiones with the AP, I was with a gringa, Hna Wilkins. She´s been here a year, and my gosh I understand why she´s one of the APs. She walks like a maniac, so much that I had to practically run to keep up with her. For 8 hours. She talks to EVERYONE and contacts everyone. She´s so happy and unafraid to ask Catholic contacts if they want to be baptized xD I didn´t have any warning and suddenly she turned to me and told me to invite this one girl to be baptized. At first I was like, um, are you crazy? But later she told me that we can never know who´s ready to be baptized. And we´re here to invite everyone to come unto Christ. That definitely made me think.
 
But by the end of the day, I was literally exhausted. I had worn holes in my socks and I couldn´t feel my feet, almost. But we taught so many lessons, talked to so many people, and I saw what missionary work truly is. Here´s what I wrote in my journal that night: "This is the obra misional. Holey socks and shoes, tired feet, sweaty bodies coated with dust, hands germy from shaking so many hands, a sore throat from talking to everyone (soon!), and a heart full of love for everyone you meet, without fear or shyness. Maybe one day I can be like that. But I´ve got to start somewhere." I´m struggling, but I´m learning. I know I have the capacity to be the missionary I want to be. But everyone has to start from the beginning. And I know if I want it and work for it, I can achieve it :)

A scripture I used a lot this week was Ether 12:4,6-7. Oh, and 3 Nephi 19:25-29 is excellent, too. I love that we need to test out the word of God before we can say if it´s true or not. I´ve seen that a lot this week with the people I teach.

Well, I´m out of time. Thank you for your prayers and your love and support. I´ve felt it this week, for sure :) We actually have baptisms this week! I hope. We´ll see.
Until next week! Love you all!
Hermana Oliphant

No comments:

Post a Comment