Sister Sarah Oliphant serving in the Nicaragua Managua North mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from May 2015 through November 2016

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Semana 3

Hola everyone! This week went by crazy fast. I don´t have a lot of time, so I´ll try and squeeze everything in ;)

I realize I haven´t really talked a lot about the missionary work itself. The reason for that is I´m not entirely sure what´s happening half the time x3 I´m still trying to get used to everything. But I don't understand most of it ;)

We have about 25 investigators right now. I don´t even know half of them xD I feel like we have more Investigators, RCs, (recent converts) MA, (less active) and IA (inactive) then we can keep track of. Is that just me, is something wrong, or is that perfectly normal? There just aren´t enough hours in the day.

Most of the time we just walk past RC and MA and sing a hymn, read a scripture, and say a prayer. You know, to keep them going to church :) We also have lessons with our investigators, and we have lots with fechas (challenges to be baptized). It just seems that a lot of them are falling through, and that´s a little frustrating. But they have their agency, and they can choose for themselves. But man, they´re missing out :) 

We get a lot of references, so that´s how we find our new investigators mostly, but we also contact. We don´t really go door knocking (You don´t really knock on doors anyways...you stand at their gate and shout "Buenas!"), we just contact people in the street. We ask their name, if they have any family, and where they live, and tell them that we´re missionaries for the church, and invite them to attend church. Occassionally, we ask them if there´s a good time for us to come and teach them. But only if they seem interested. Most people aren´t, but some people definitely are.
 
We have a companionship goal of 12 baptisms a month, I think. Normally that´s the case, but we´ve been having a hard time lately. We have this couple, who were supposed to get baptized this past saturday, but we found out less than a week ago that they´re not married...so that didn´t happen. They´re still planning on getting baptized. But they just need to get married and go to church! Ay. We didn´t realize they weren´t married because they have a teenage son and she´s currently 7 months pregnant with twins. So that´s also causing problems, because she´s having a hard time getting to church and doing anything because of her health. But they´re tuanis! We´re going to baptize them for sure. 

I also got to teach English to a couple people this week. It´s harder than you think x3 English is loco.
Well that´s all I have time for. I´ll get pictures next week. I promise! I´m sorry I´ve been slacking. I love you all!
-- Hna Oliphant

No comments:

Post a Comment