Sister Sarah Oliphant serving in the Nicaragua Managua North mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from May 2015 through November 2016

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Another Week!

It´s so crazy how fast this week went! But it was definitely a lot better. I´m working a lot on not being so shy :) Even though I can speak Spanish now, it´s so hard to force myself to talk when I don´t feel like it. That´s for sure when the Spirit comes in. I can tell it´s there when I can talk without thinking about it. So my goal is to really truly have the Spirit conmigo SIEMPRE. That´s what makes me an effective missionary, right? This isn´t my work, it´s the Lord´s. The Spirit does the work, I just have to open my mouth and let it :)

We had a couple of cool experiences this week! We have an instigator who is the friend of a recent convert. He´s progressing so well, and he loves going to church, and he agreed to be baptized! He´s getting surgery this week, so we don´t know when. But he wants to wait until December! We´re trying really hard to help him understand that he doesn´t need to put off something the Spirit tells him he needs to do! But he´s so cool, and we´re working hard with him.

The other thing is we found an old investigator! He agreed to be baptized in the contact, but every time we tried to visit him, his sister would lie to us about where he was, and telling us that he didn´t want us to come back. And we didn´t have his phone number, and she wouldn´t give it to us, so we basically gave up on him. We didn´t believe her, but we had no way to contact him. Then randomly, as we were seeking shelter from the pouring rain, we saw him! We talked to him, he confirmed that his sister was lying, gave us his phone number, and agreed to be baptized again :) We´ll have to work harder with him, because he has a problem with the word of wisdom. But he´s been super positive, and I know how much of an impact the atonement can have on his life.

This week we´ve also been having lots of ants in our room...like a lot. They´re crawling all over everything and even eating our dirty clothes...it´s pretty bad. But we just have to be more careful at cleaning up our food x3 It´ll help.

So, my spiritual thought. I was reading references for lesson 2 (the plan of Salvation) and I found some really good scriptures in Alma 34. The whole chapter is excellent, but the verses that really stuck out to me are 31-35. We can´t put off the day of our repentance! And if we sin with an attitude of "I´ll repent later," we´ve already given our hearts to the adversary, and don´t truly understand what it means to be able to repent. I´m sure you all can find more out of the chapter, but I just wanted to share that little bit I got out of it :)

Thank you all for your prayers and love! Sorry I don´t have any pictures today...again. It´s a struggle to find things to take pictures of. And my comps memory is still on the fritz. But I´ll get you some soon, I promise!

Take care. Have a wonderful week!
Love, Hermana Oliphant

No comments:

Post a Comment