Sister Sarah Oliphant serving in the Nicaragua Managua North mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from May 2015 through November 2016

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Scriptures Rock!

Hey Everyone!
Sorry for being on so late again...this is the last week! If I haven`t explained exactly why I`ve been going to Managua so much...sorry. It`s not a secret, haha. We just had another charla with a general authority today, and me and my comp were in the choir. So we went down every pday this month, basically. But now we`re free! The charla/conference was so great, though. Elder Craig C. Christensen of the seventy came down, and he actually speaks Spanish! His wife too. So we listened to them, a member of the area presidency, Pte. Alonzo, and his wife, and then the mission presidents for both the missions and their wives. It was such a lovely incredible experience. I always just feel the Spirit so strongly, and I just have this overwhelming urge to get out and go teach! It`s so nice to be able to hear so much from these general authorities, and get first-hand advice from these incredible people. Lots of excellent notes, and lots of things to put into practice :)

We`re kind of tired...so I`m not going to write much. This week has basically just been a week of working our tails off, trying to improve and share the gospel. Lots of self-reflection for me. Looking at the things I`m not doing well and need to change to be a better servant of the Lord. It`s been incredible, though. Putting more emphasis on my personal study has made such a difference. Go figure, haha ;)

My spiritual thought is from the Book of Mormon :) I read a verse in my personal study yesterday that really stood out to me. It`s in 1 Nephi 17.
 13 And I will also be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye shall keep my commandments; wherefore, inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led towards the promised land; and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led.
What really stood out to me was where it says "inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led toward the promised land." In Spanish it translates a little differently. "...al grado que guardèis mis mandamientos, serèis conducidos hacia la tierra prometida." "Al grado" basically means something along the lines of "to the level." So I read "to the level of which you keep my commandments, you`ll be led to the promised land." So basically, the level of diligence we put into keeping the commandments is the level of guidance we`re going to receive from our Heavenly Father. If we want a lot of help, we need to be really diligent ;) Because we all receive blessings according to the commandments we keep. If we keep some, but not others, we receive a few blessings according to the ones we`re already keeping. But if we want ALL the blessings...we need to keep ALL the commandments. So if I want to be a great missionary, I need to be really dilligent in being exactly obedient ;) Kind of crazy how that works, right? I really do love this scripture, though. And the promise. He WILL lead us to the promise land. But after a period of trial. But once we reach this promised land, we`ll know that it was him who led us there. We`ll see his hand in our life if we just look. Never lose the faith. I know for sure that this promise is true for all of us :)

I love you all so much! I`ll send pictures next week, I actually have some...haha. Just keep reading them scriptures and keeping the Sabbath day holy...seriously. It helps. Just do it.
Feliz semana!
Att. Hermana Oliphant

No comments:

Post a Comment