Sister Sarah Oliphant serving in the Nicaragua Managua North mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from May 2015 through November 2016

Monday, August 8, 2016

Week of Miracles

I feel like that`s what all missionaries say. But seriously, this week was pretty milagrosa :)
Changes are always hard, because you and your companion adapt to working a certain way, and then a new companion comes and all of that changes. But Hermana Dominguete is ready to work :) She`s also been teaching me Portuguese. It`s a slow process...but I`m getting it :)

This week we kept teaching an investigator that me and Hermana Jimenez found in July. His name is Josè Francisco, and he didn`t seem to be progressing much. He was convinced that the Bible is the best book in the world and that the Book of Mormon is a bad copy. He also assists regularly at an Evangelical church right across the street because he has a problem in his foot, and that church is the closest one to his house. We didn`t work too hard with him, but I was convinced that he had potential. This week we brought a member who was about his age, used to be Evangelical, and is also our ward mission leader :) We taught the restoration and the book of Mormon, and Hermano Juan (our wml) taught the whole thing better than I could have. I saw the light in Jose`s eyes grow as he understood the apostasy and the restoration and the importance of the book of mormon. He just kept saying over and over again "I understand now." We testified of the truthfulness of the restoration and the BoM and we invited him to be baptized the 2nd of September. We had invited him before, but he said no. But that day, he said yes! He said that he understood the importance and was ready to prepare to be baptized. Before, he also didn`t want to come to church because he doensn`t have any nice shoes and was embarrassed. But that day he said "I`m going to church barefoot if I have to because the Lord cares about our heart." And he came. We taught him the whole week, and his understanding grew about the plan of Salvation. Then he went to church and stayed the whole three hours and told me that he was in darkness, but now he can see the light. He`s so different now. All the members of the branch know him, know his baptismal date and are so excited for him, and the Elders quorom has made plans to go visit him during the week. The support of the members has been so wonderful, and really made the difference. I love seeing Jose`s smile knowing that he`ll soon be baptized and will be able to discover the fullness of the gospel. I know this work is true, and i know that my Savior Jesus Christ lives, and he knows us. He can make us whole, but we just need to be obedient. Have faith, and repent. Even of the tiny sins. All of them keep us from getting into the kingdom of God.
I love you all so much. Sorry, no pictures, but next week for sure!

Love, Hermana Oliphant 

No comments:

Post a Comment