Sister Sarah Oliphant serving in the Nicaragua Managua North mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from May 2015 through November 2016

Monday, July 4, 2016

Hey everyone :)

I hope your week`s been great! Sorry for not writing last week. We went out of town and got back a little late...but these past two weeks have been super great.
We`ve been meeting and finding a lot of new investigators, and it`s been so fun. 

It`s been such a pleasure to preach the gospel here, and lately, I`ve been less afraid to call people out and stand up for my beliefs. Because some people (including myself) just need someone to tell them that they need to shape up. And it`s been great. My comp and I work really well together. We`re both super committed to being obedient and to work intelligently. The area had been struggling before because of my comp`s last companion, but we`ve been shaping it up and our DL told us that "Nagarote es la freakin ley!" Which means that our area is the bomb dot com. That always feels good to hear :) The only real struggle is that people don`t like to make commitments, or keep them. So getting them to church is hard. But they love learning, and I love helping them understand the truthfulness of the gospel. I just hope that the Lord can keep leading us to the people who are truly ready to accept Christ in their lives. And sometimes we don`t even know when they`re ready. We taught one lady this week who, at first seemed super unpositive. She was making lots of excuses about how she couldn`t go to church, but she received us in her house. Then we talked about the restoration, and when we compared Joseph Smith`s search for the truth to her own personal curiosity, her eyes lit up. And suddenly she was interested, and the Spirit was so strong. It was so beautiful, and that`s the kind of thing the gospel can do. Light eyes and fill holes we didn`t even realize were missing. 

Something sad and happy is the Pte and Hermana Collado are going home. They've finished their three years and we`ve gotten our new mission president! His name is Pte. Poncio, and we get to meet him this Wednesday in a multizona. I`m so sad to see the Collados leave, but I`m thrilled to meet our new mission president and see what kind of new miracles we can receive here in Nicaragua :)

This week, I`ve been studying a lot about faith. I`ve started Personal Progress over (in Spanish), and I`ve been reading all the scriptures and studying on what it truly means to have faith. And especially how to apply it. This week was particularly hard because we worked so hard this week and none of our investigators came to church. I was feeling a little discouraged, then I remembered a story I heard somewhere. There was a man, and the Lord told the man to push a giant boulder. He pushed on it, all day, every day, for a long time. But it never moved. Then one day, the man got mad. And the Lord told him, "I told you to push the rock. I didn`t say it would move." And he points out how much stronger he is, and all the things he`s gained from his years pushing on a rock. And that`s what faith is. Even when it seems completely pointless, it`s being obedient and keeping the commandments because we trust in the Lord`s plan for us. And that`s helped me out a lot this week. We get discouraged because we don`t move the rock, but if we remember that we were just asked to push it, it gets a little easier to just keep going, and to keep building those muscles :) Hebrews 10:35-36 is also a great scripture.

I love you all so much. Thanks for everything, and I hope you have a great week!
Att. Hermana Oliphant

Ps...lots of fotos. You`re welcome.
P.P.S. Happy 4th of July! (sorry, we don`t really celebrate it here, but I feel the national pride in my heart :))

Pics.
1. Me And my comp a couple weeks ago at our last multizona with Pte Collado...finally you get to see her!
2. Me with Pte/Hna Collado and their kids...so sad to say goodbye ;(
3. Straightened my hair...holla
4. A few members of the branch Nagarote!
5. Just a selfie of the day...in pants
Sarah and New Comp

Sarah and President and Sister Collado and family

Straight Hair!
Some members of the branch


In pants!

No comments:

Post a Comment