Sister Sarah Oliphant serving in the Nicaragua Managua North mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from May 2015 through November 2016

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Another week in the life of a future Nica!

So I´m done counting weeks...it takes too much energy and I think getting up in the week 30´s and such is a little much. So I´m changing it up :) I´ve almost got 4 months down in my mission. 14 left! Mi compa has 14 now, and goes home in 4 x3 So she´s starting to get a little trunky. And it´s making me trunky suuuuper bad. Which is ridiculous. I´ve still got half my life left to live here :)
So, this week feels like it lasted a life time, and also no time at all. It´s super super weird. But it was really good. I went on LOTS of divisions this week. 3, to be exact. Which is more than I´ve ever had in a single week :) But they were all good.
 
I haven´t got a lot of time, so I´ll get to the good stuff.

Soon I get to get my cedula! Woohoo. Or basically my Nicaraguan ID card, saying that I´m nica. I had to wait 3 months after I got here, and that´s in 2 weeks! So, in a couple weeks I won´t be American anymore, officially. Sorry guys.
 
This Wednesday we had an interesting zone activity. We´ve been struggling a little bit as a zone lately. We had an awesome month in August, baptizing over 30 people. Which is more than we´ve ever done. But because we baptized everyone in August, we didn´t leave anyone for September ;) So it´s been a little slow. So President Collado came and talked to us, just saying, "I know you can be better! We´re going to try something. Right now you have about 30 investigators with a baptismal date. We´re going to go on inter-zone divisions, and you and your new companions are going to think of a goal of faith. How many investigators can you commit to baptism today?" So that´s what we did, with the main number being 3. So with 10 companionships, we all commited to commit 30 more people to baptism that day. Something we´ve never done before. But, we did it. As a zone, we commited 34 people. In one day! It was incredible and inspiring, honestly. What we can do if we have faith and work toward our worthy goals. 

I´ve been having super good days lately. I´m a naturally shy person, so contacting people makes me super nervous. But on Friday, I just kept walking up to everyone and talking to them like it was nothing, with no fear at all whatsoever. I surprised myself, and then remembered that it was from the Lord. I for sure didn´t have that strength before, but when I promised that I´d try harder to get out of my comfort zone, I was given the strength I needed to get the job done. I felt so empowered and happy that I was doing all I could to be the mouthpiece of the Lord and share the gospel with the world.

I did some good studying on the Atonement. And I´ve never understood before how exactly Christ suffering and dying for us actually worked as the atonement. Why did it have to be like that exactly? Why was that the only way? Why did He have to be perfect? And then I was reading from the teachings of Joseph Fielding Smith (in Spanish), when a phrase caught my attention: (I can´t remember exactly how it went, but it was a letter to his son. It said something like:) "Estaba pensando mucho en lo que hizo Jesucristo por mí." Which means, "I was thinking a lot about what Jesus Christ did for me." Now, in English, the word "for" has a lot of different meanings. But in Spanish, there are two ways to say "for." "Para," which is used as more of gifts, like you made something for someone, or it can also mean "in order to." And then there´s "por." That means, "in place of," "because of." And, all of these definitions can fit to "for" in English. I always assumed that when we say, "Christ suffered for my sins." it applied to the first definition. Or, like, Christ suffered in order to atone for my sins. But that´s not it at all. Now that I´ve realized it, it´s seems so painfully obvious. Christ suffered because of my sins, in my place. It had to be done that way. He had to feel the pain, the weakness, because we were destined to be weak. He had to die, because we were going to die, too. But because of his role as the son of God, he could do it all so we couldn´t have to, so that we could pay our meager sum of money that we had, for Him to pay the debt in full in the way that He could. Our sins are erased, because he already paid them. We will be resurrected, because Christ, through his own power, overcame death first. But as I´m saying and thinking all this, I´m just thinking, "Duh. That´s what they´ve been telling me this whole time. Christ is our lawyer and mediator with the Father. In did it all in place of us." I just never really understood it until that moment that I took into account the different meanings of "for." I really love the new insights I receive by reading in Spanish. It´s so interesting how differently we understand things based on the way it´s expressed in a different language. I love it.
To conclude, I read some cool verses in the new testament about both missionary work and love. In John 15:8-18,26-27. Take a look :)

That´s all for this week :) Thanks for the prayers and love and support, as always. I´m so glad I have this opportunity. I really am. I also learned a bit this week about how little time I really have to have the power and authority I do as a missionary. I should never take it for granted, or waste a precious second of the Lord´s time that I´ve been given. I hope I can apply this to heart during the day as I´m working :)

Have an amazing week!
Love, Hermana Oliphant
P.S. Sorry, no more pictures this week. I really never do anything interesting. I´ll try to get something for next week ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment