Sister Sarah Oliphant serving in the Nicaragua Managua North mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from May 2015 through November 2016

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Week 10!

I also forgot to mention a couple weeks ago that I made it to my 3 month mark! In just two weeks I´ll have been on my mission for 4 months. Only 14 left ;) Honestly it´s crazy how the time flies, and I´m going to stop talking about it starting now because I think we all realize that for missionaries time just doesn´t exist the way it does for everyone else.

This week has been interesting for sure. Lots of emotional challenges. I´ve learned that patience, what it truly means, and humility are not my strong suits. I already kind of knew that but I got to see it thrown in my face a little more. x3 But just like it says in Ether 12:27, we are shown our weaknesses so we can be humbled, come onto Christ, and be made stronger through the atonement of Christ. And like it says, also, in Hebrews 12:5-7, 11 we receive chastening (or knowledge of our faults) because our Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to improve. So I´m just working on studying these two things, and a few others; what they really mean, and then prayerfully applying them to my life. I definitely challenge each of you to take a look at the things that you´re probably not that great at. We´re here on this earth to improve, right? And what´s the best place to go for help to improve? Our father in Heaven :) He can help us in ways that others can´t. And if we are sufficiently humble to want to improve ourselves, he´ll help us out. We don´t have to be embarrassed about being imperfect because, let´s be honest. No one is. And if they seem to be perfect they´re just really good at pretending :)
 
This week´s also been interesting because of the build up to today, La 14 de Septiembre. Or, Nicaragua´s independence day. People have celebrations for that ALL week long here. And that means lots of drinking. And lots of drunk guys wandering around. I had a couple interesting experiences with that, for sure. Nothing bad, but they gave me a chuckle. We were in a lesson and this one guy was begging for water and telling us how drunk he was. But he was also speaking English. I got to hear some lovely words that I hadn´t heard since I left the states. x3 Oh how I haven´t missed those swear words. 

And we also ended up having a lesson with a couple of guys who were probably high on something other than alcohol. We were teaching some recent converts outside near a spot where all the drunks like to hang out, and a couple saw us and decided to join us. They were relatively respectful, and as we prayed (most people here say their own prayers out loud during the main ones) one of them mentioned his daughter, and so Hna Miza and I asked him what he wants for his family. Of course he said happiness. So we gave them two of them a pamphlet on the word of wisdom and left them there to celebrate how they pleased. I´ll be surprised if they remember our lesson with them, but hey, the Lord moves in mysterious ways. If they´re ready to change their lives, I´m down to help them out. We´ll have to see where that goes :)
 
So other than the massive amount of rain we´ve had, and discovering a new part of our area that none of us new existed, this week´s been relatively normal :) We´re struggling on finding people who are really ready to commit to the gospel and be baptized. People are so ready to accept baptism initially, but then they disappear off the face of the planet, or they don´t feel like coming to church, and so we have to drop them because they haven´t been progressing. That´s honestly one of the saddest things for me. Now that I understand the language better, my main struggle is dealing with the sadness that comes from watching people reject the gospel. Especially the members that I can see falling inactive. I wish I could give them my testimony and the feelings I have. I try, but if they´re not willing to do anything, there´s not much I can do to change them. I can pray and share my testimony, and try not to get discouraged. But it really does hurt my, almost physically, to think that so many people won´t be able to experience the happiness and peace that I and so many others have felt. But that´s the part of being a missionary that comes naturally. You see lots of happy endings, but lots of sad ones too. Just always remember how blessed we are as members to have this happiness. I want to also challenge you all to go our of your way to share the gospel this week. No one will ever be offended by your testimony. And you really never know who´s struggling and needs the hand of Christ in their life. And, you know, help out your local missionaries. They work hard, and it´s harder than you think to actually find people to teach. They love references, I promise:)

Alright, that´s all the time I have. I hope you all have an excellent week. Remember how lucky you are, share the gospel, be humble, and be safe, always. I love you all, and thank you for your prayers and support. It means the world.

- Hermana Oliphant

No comments:

Post a Comment