Sister Sarah Oliphant serving in the Nicaragua Managua North mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from May 2015 through November 2016

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Semana 9...oh wow!

9 weeks and 2 months later...oh my goodness where did the time go. I seriously felt like last Monday was yesterday. This is actually kind of terrifying.

So what happened this week? I put my first fecha! Or, in other words, I asked someone to be baptized, and he said yes! It was the first time that someone had actually accepted the invitation when I extended it. I was actually really surprised, because we had just contacted him, but he felt the Spirit and was ready and said yes, so hey, I´m all down for it. It felt so good.
 
I tried turtle for the first time. It was actually really good. Super tough, but flavorful. I highly recommend it :)
 
We had an interesting experience with an investigator this week. He used to be taught by the missionaries, but they stopped visiting him. We´re like, hey, let´s go teach him. We found out why the missionaries before stopped going. What he basically wanted to do was listen to us talk, and then drill us with questions and try and get us to argue, or to prove us wrong. It was really irritating, listening to him ramble about how the bible doesn´t say anything about the church disappearing from the earth (it does, but, you know. We´re not supposed to bible bash ;)). It just gave me a headache. But Hna Miza did really well, and just bore her testimony, and did her best to leave on a good note and get out of there as soon as possible. Unfortunately, there are people like that. But all we can do is bear testimony, and try our best to leave them with no bad memories of us. We still are representatives of Jesus Christ, whether people are ready to accept His word into their lives. That definitely was an interesting experience.
 
Oh, and another funny story. We had an investigator with a baptismal date when I got here, but he stopped reading and going to church so we dropped him. We randomly decided to go visit him again, and while we talked, we found out something very important. He doesn´t speak much Spanish. He´s from Puerto Cabeza, which is up in the north-east part of Nicaragua, where they speak Miskito. Some people also speak Spanish and English there, but he happened to only speak Miskito and was learning Spanish. So, basically, the reason he wasn´t progressing was because he wasn´t understanding us. Hna Miza was so frustrated with herself. "4 months! We´ve been teaching him for 4 months and I had no clue!" It was pretty funny, but now we know and we have members in the ward who speak Miskito, so we´ll be able to teach him again and hopefully he´ll get baptized soon :)
 
So, we found a special Book of Mormon in the copies to give out. I carry one with me to use, and to give to people if we find someone positive, and we were in a lesson with a RC. She´s 10, and super cute. We left her something to read in Mosiah, and I was looking it up to read with her. And then I burst out laughing. Why? Because that special BoM didn´t have Mosiah 4. It did have Mosiah 11-27 twice. right next to a single page of the book of Alma. And we have two of those bad copies of the BoM. I literally just laughed out loud for 5 minutes in that lesson. With our RC and Hna Miza of course. I just wanted to preach the gospel. Be gone, SatanĂ¡s!
 
So, I did some good studying on Charity. It´s more than just love. I´d share all I know about it, but then I´d deny you all the opportunity to study it for yourselves ;) Plus I´ve only got an hour on here, so you know. Priorities.
 
I also read this really awesome little book on missionary work. It´s called Member Missionary Work: Finding the Elect of God. It´s not published by the church, but it´s this random talk given by Brother Scott Marshall. It´s amazing. Honestly, reading that book converted me to the gospel again. President Collado gave it to me when we were studying with other companionships, and it´s a super fast read. I´m not sure how to find it, but if you don´t mind knowing the dirty secrets of missionary work, and coming to have an intellectual testimony of the gospel, give it a read. You won´t regret it.
 
I also reread the conference talk from last April on Music and the Gospel. We can teach our kids (or investigators) how to dance, but if we don´t also teach them how to hear the music for themselves, they´re going to quit dancing eventually. I absolutely adore this talk, so go ahead and read it again. I think it´s on the front page of lds.org right now.
 
Alright. Time to go. Thank you for all your prayers and love and support. I feel it every day. Have a good week, and remember always how much you are loved by our Heavenly Father. 
Feliz semana!
- Hermana Oliphant
 
Sarah's Neighborhood, La 14

Our Heritage in Spanish, current personal study

Sarah and Hermana Near on divisions while their comps were at training
 

No comments:

Post a Comment